Welcome To Chesapeake Spine Center
Chesapeake Spine Center is here to help our patients live better, healthier lives. Dr. MacDowall is passionate about pinpointing and addressing underlying causes of pain and dysfunction through the practice of a functional medicine approach. Health problems categorized as “chronic” or “degenerative”, slowly take their toll on quality of life. Functional medicine is the progressive practice of medicine that better targets the functional breakdown of the human body. This is achieved by spending time with each patient to understand their history as well as potential genetic, lifestyle, and environmental factors that can greatly impact a patient’s health. Dr. MacDowall uses hands-on diagnostic, orthopedic and neurological testing with stress X-rays, as well as blood work, nutrition, and Trigger Point Dry Needling to restore your functional health. This approach is the most effective way to add Life to your Years and Years to your life!
We specialize in a Whole Body, Whole Life, Primary Care Approach to your Health. You can visit our services page to learn more about our practice, which is focused on your overall wellness!
Why am I in pain?
Dr. MacDowall will evaluate your health in a whole body; primary care doctor approach. Diagnosis is essential in determining your pain or loss of function. We use a variety of medical testing as diagnostic tools at Chesapeake Spine Center
- Examine what area may be causing your pain.
- Digital stress X-rays present us with an accurate picture of what is happening in your skeletal system
- Blood work to best understand your physiology and treat the underlying conditions that may be causing your pain
- M.R.I. to see soft tissue ligaments, tendons, muscles, cartilage, and nerves.
- Manage referrals for your recovery challenge if other physicians or opinions are needed.
What can I expect from treatment?
After a thorough examination with X-rays, Dr. MacDowall will be able to determine where your problem lies and discuss how to help you feel better.
- Practical Pain Management is a non-drug approach.
- Decompression of the compressed nerve of low back and or neck.
- Adjustment of the spine to decompress the choked nerve.
- Trigger Point Dry Needling aims to address neuromuscular conditions, relieve pain, and improve range of motion
- Electrical muscle stim therapy to help relieve muscle spasm
- Ultrasound reduces inflammation at the joint.
- Cryotherapy / hot packs to speed up recovery. Ice for pain and inflammation. Heat to increase blood flow and improve joint motion and reduce arthritic joint pain.
How can I continue to maintain my progress?
Dr. MacDowall will recommend a course of treatment to target your specific needs.
- PT ball: home stability and strengthening rehab
- Pelvic lift/stabilizer orthotics: to correct foot, knee and pelvis.
- Home cervical neck traction: to decompress your neck
- Maintenance adjustment: to ward off the stress of your life.
What makes Dr. MacDowall’s approach different?
Dr. MacDowall is passionate about pinpointing and addressing underlying causes of pain and dysfunction through the practice of functional medicine approach. Functional medicine is the progressive practice of medicine that better targets the functional break down of the human body. This is achieved by spending time with each patient to understand their history as well as potential genetic, lifestyle, and environmental factors that can greatly impacts your health. This Approach is the most effective way to add Life to your years and Years to your life!
What should I expect for my first visit?
- New patient information: We want to get to know you.
- Examination: Dr. MacDowall will meet with you to find out what preceded your pain. Examination of your spine will help to determine the underlying cause.
- X-rays: If you have not had standing stress x-rays within the last 12 months, Dr. MacDowall will take them after your examination.
- Relief: If in severe pain, Dr. MacDowall will start with relief care that day.